Tuesday 30 June 2009

TRAVEL LITERATURE


The big day has arrived! Off we go to Chicago...the first time two thirds of us have ever been to America and all to experience musical adventures currently unknown....

Now having more or less packed (if throwing some pants and tshirts into a suitcase count), it is time for the most important part of travelling - what reading accompaniments deserve to make the journey from the dusty bookshelf in your room across oceans to lands new?

I've realised that in the last year or so due to severe lack of funds, I haven't bought that many books. Most I have acquired from my school and university days and some have come by means of presents. Books and records are my most favourite presents to give and receive!

I've just been towering over my much neglected bookcase trying to find something that will hold my interest for more than 5 minutes and hopefully will also be quite appropriate for the journey ahead.

Immediately I spot Jack Kerouac's On The Road which was a present from my sister after she first visited the States. Yep, couldn't be a more damn obvious choice but I am yet to read it so it will do nicely. Next to that I see City Lights Poets Anthology - sticking with the American theme, in the suitcase it goes.

Finally as I was turning away from the bookcase and preparing myself to jump over the drum kit in the corner of my room back to where there is actually a bit of space on the floor, I spot a coverless ancient book and have no idea what it could be. It is in fact JG Ballard's Concrete Island. I haven't a clue how it arrived in my bookcase. It is coverless and has no identification marks except the following number scrawled on the back: 07780 611631.

Dare I ring it? Perhaps after I have read the book as I am so keen to dig into it!

Farewell London! I feel so drained of people and this town...I have been dreaming of this in all my past lives...

D-Bird

PS I remember one of the first blogs I ever wrote was The Birds Book Club blog on our Myspace which had great input and feedback from you all! Feel free to suggest any good books you are currently reading as I am always interested. Thanks!

2 comments:

Vestiges of the current said...

The Buddha Of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi. Exciting read!

An Experiment On A Bird In The Air Pump said...

Thanks, great choice! x