Monday 23 March 2009

Jukebox

Free Kitten!

Who likes kittens? Free Kitten are a super group made up of members from Sonic Youth, Pussy Galore and Pavement. At the moment I am listening to their song 'Bananas' to death. The song opens up with a cough, a sneeze and Kim Gordon snarling, 'When did evolution come to a full stop? Survial of the fittest is a cruel, cruel hope'. A bold statement coming from a bold lady.

Who else can pull off a sneeze before a song without making it sound faux punk and erm...unhygenic?

Below is a cover of 'Sex Boy' Free Kitten did of The Germs' song. A bit of triva for you- The Germs were an LA punk band from '77-80 who for a time had Belinda Carlisle of 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth' fame- a song quite possibly on every Mum's favourite songs EVER list- on drums. ...although she never actually played with the band live.

FREE KITTEN!



The Germs



Heaven is a place with a drum kit- Belinda Carlisle



The Ronnettes-

This song for some reason 3 years ago made me cry. No, I didnt have my heart broken and no, I wasn't hormonal. It's your typical boy meets girl melodrama- they're too young to get married. Girl cries and cries and cries. Ain't life cruel? Seems so silly now I'm listening to it- it actually verges on the ridiculous but maybe this Bird has a heart afterall.




I once listened to the following Shangri-Las song when the bulb in my room blew, I was too lazy to change my bulb so sat in the dark listening to music. 'Past, Present, Future' is a song that makes my hair stand on end and my arms goose pimple. Chilling, disturbing but utterly engrossing. There continues to be a debate about what this song is about. Rape? Teenage pregnancy? You decide.

'Was I ever in love? I called it love- I mean, it felt like love,
There were moments when, well, there were moments when...'

'Take a walk along the beach tonight? I'd love to,
But don't try to touch me, don't try to touch me
Cos that will never happen again...'



Peace and Love,

X-Bird

No comments: