Thursday 16 July 2009

Sick, Broke Piggies


Isn't it funny when things you always hear about but never thought would affect you, begin to impose on your everyday life?

The recession, recession, recession is all you hear about and you then realise that being unemployed in the literal sense of the word but being a full-time musician, is damn tough. Would we be in the same position if we made music 2 years ago? I think, probably not. Even upto a year ago, there seemed to be more money floating around in the industry. Go back 5 to 10 years and if we'd been in the same economical and musical climate then I'm sure there would have been no Lily Allen and Arctic Monkeys. They just broke through at the right time and I think they will be the last of the major artists for some time. Yes there is Florence, Little Boots etc but they have all rushed out at once this year and I don't think many will be remembered in a year's time. They are all of the same ilk with little that separates them I feel.

Currently, swine flu has hit Shoreditch life. At least 3 people I know have it and usual faces at my club night send me apologetic 'I really think I'm coming down with swine flu, I'm really sorry' messages. This damn global pandemic is now infringing on my social life! What I want to know is, what are the risks of dying from it now that Cherie Blair has it and more importantly, what the hell happened to Bird Flu?! Wasn't that meant to wipe out the entire planet last summer?!

Boy. Times are hard. Life is hard. It's like the plagues of Egypt all over again. Plus there were flying ants all over Shoreditch today! Sin city definitely feels very sinful...

D-Bird

No comments: