Friday 12 December 2008

Currently listening to...



The Organ
A band which I really wish a) hadn't split up and b) I'd seen live. Comparisons are often made to them being the female Smiths - beautiful, haunting, poignant pop songs. They are a wonderful band who are often overlooked. Give them a listen. 'I Am Not Surprised' is one of my favourite songs from their amazing 2006, 'Grab That Gun' album.
I Am Not Surprised - The Organ


Not Cool
An amazing new project fronted by Matt Gilbert former bassist with The Violets with ex-Violets Andrew Moran on drums. Their first gig is on January 10th at Club Motherfucker. You can hear their 4 song demos here:
http://www.myspace.com/notcoolisaband

Daniel Johnston
Known for his eccentricities as well as releasing a large volume of work on cassette tape, Daniel Johnston's quirky DIY music paved the way for a lot of other US lo-fi indie bands.


Sebadoh
Dinosaur Jnr's refugee Lou Barlow fronts a remarkable lo-fi band along the vein of Pavement. His casual, no fuss vocals are extremely appealing. I first came across them when I saw their video for 'Rebound' on MTV back in the day...
Rebound - Sebadoh

PJ Harvey
PJ Harevy is an ongoing favourite...I love this live performance of 'Meet Ze Monsta' as she sounds and looks so strong and defiant.

D-Bird

No comments: